Kilkenny Castle

Kilkenny Castle

Monday, February 11, 2013

The Country Music Section Is Doing Well

It was while watching a T.V. show on TG4 that the idea came to me to start a new Country Music section on the site. The programme was Glór Tíre which showcases a few new contestant every week who are introduced by a big name Country Singer from Ireland each week. It's a sort of talent contest to promote new blood into the world of Country Music in Ireland. Also the big name bands preform their hit songs. It came to me that nobody was providing the lyrics and chords to these songs on the internet, so I gave it a go.I continue to get help from a friend, Angela for the chords. I'm not the biggest country music fan in the world but would watch and learn. Even the lyrics to these big hit songs were not on the net so I set about writing them down myself as I did with most of the early stuff already on the site. I got a lot of help from Angela from Germany who doesn't really mind these songs and actually likes quiet a few. I was very surprised how well these songs were known around the world, especially in America, Canada and the U.K. Some of the newer singers who came on the scene in the past 6 years or so are making a good living here in Ireland from singing country songs, some of which they wrote themselves. Derek Ryan and Nathan Carter are the two big new names in Country Music in Ireland today. The new brand of country singer is not afraid to experiment with using alternative musical instruments not normally used in country music. Declan Ryan is a good example, he recently added a new tin whistle player to his band. This makes for a whole new sound and gives a sort of mixture between country and folk. I hope to ad to this section in the future.

No comments: